Kenneth M. Sternberg
SOFTWARE ENGINEERING LEADER
Experienced software engineer with ~20 years’ experience in . . .
- Infrastructure engineering
- Business process interfaces
- Data management
- Front-end frameworks
- AWS deployment administration
- Agile and XP methodologies
- Databases and Data Warehousing: PostgreSQL | MySQL | CouchDB
- Platforms and Operating Systems: Linux | Kubernetes | Docker | Splunk |
- Applications and Tools: Ansible | Jenkins | Prometheus | Grafana
- Project Management Methodologies: Agile | XP |
Big Fish Games, Seattle, WA 2019 – 2020
Project Lead & Senior Engineer
- Rescued a failing project in Django, Python, Typescript, React, and related tools to complete a suite of in-house tools to automate the gathering of project lifecycle information.
- Trained a team of junior developers in modern React, CSS & Material-UI development, as well as Clean Code, Clean Architecture, Test-Driven Development, Domain-driven design, Architectural Decision Capture, and project documentation for medium and large projects.
- Collaborated with the lead engineers of other teams and wrote the first draft of our in-house Engineering Standards guidelines.
Splunk, Seattle, WA, USA 2013 – 2018
- Developed a framework for exporting Splunk visualizations into third-party services
- Wrote an advanced windowing engine to allow users to unite and display Splunk searches and visualizations as a coherent and portable package.
- Wrote API layers to integrate Splunk's intake servers with NetApp and EMC appliances.
- Wrote high-performance, customer-oriented UI/UX tools n to enable intake of customer networking data
- Wrote to provide security and financial use auditing of customer pipelines.
- Skills used: Typescript, Sass, Material-UI and React for front-end work. Python and Go for back-end work. Kubernetes and Docker for AWS deployment. Promethus and Grafana for monitoring.
The CK12 Foundation, Seattle, WA, USA 2012 – 2013
User Experience Developer
- Developed a graph-mapping web application for helping students discover optimal educational paths.
- Upgraded the student experience using HTML5 to provide real-time interactivity.
- Provided infrastructure expertise to speed up the browser-based experience, as well as A/B testing support.
Spiral Genetics, Inc, Seattle, WA, USA 2010 - 2012
User Experience Developer
- Developed a single-page application for the management of genetic sequencing data and the use of sequence analysis pipelines using HTML5 and CSS3.
- Integrated the application with a Django-based authentication, authorization, and accounting application via REST.
- Integrated the Spiral high-performance sequence alignment system with a real-time notification app using CouchDB, Node.JS, and Socket.Io.
- Developed a high-performance lookup system integrating the European Molecular Biology Library with our product, allowing customers fast and easy discovery of known or interesting gene sequences in submitted samples.
Indieflix, Inc, Seattle, WA, USA 2009 - 2010
Head of Engineering
- Developed and deployed a high-speed video conversion tool for processing DVDs into on-demand streams, using AWS, EC2, and S3.
- Developed and deployed and end-to-end Web Application using Django, MySQL, and S3, to provide a subscription-based service
- Extended the Django administrative interface to make it possible for internal personnel to update critical information on the home page without technical assistance.
- Integrated Facebook Connect, Oauth, and OpenGraph with the Indieflix website.
- Integrated local social networking components and game mechanics, providing a richer user experience.
Isilon Systems, Inc, Seattle 2001 - 2009
Senior UI Developer
- From 2006-2009, developed rich web interfaces for related Isilon products including the SmartConnect DNS distributor, SnapshotIQ software, and Isilon SmartQuotas, using Prototype/Scriptaculous and Ext-JS on a standard LAMP platform.
Florida International University, Melbourne, FL
Major in Accounting & Finance
South Seattle College, Seattle, WA
Associate of Science in Computer Science
Patent #US10439922B2, "Service Analyzer Interface," describing a novel user interface for monitoring networks.