It's next life was in Emacs Muse, with a lispy header (semicolons in the first column) to describe the content, and now it's Zola Markdown in its current form, which is simply that every story has its own Markdown file with a TOML-based header to describe the story's metadata: title, publication date, order in the series, and so forth.
I was looking for a replacement tool when I found Zola. I've been growing steadily disillusioned with the quality of Python3's backward compatibility, and the breakdown I experienced trying to get Python3.10 to run the generator made me insane. I considered Hugo, but settled on Zola, if only because it's written in Rust rather than Go, and I'm a partisan about those two languages.
The Python to Zola distinction is huge; generating the site went from two minutes to nine seconds, and there's auto-reloading when in development mode.
I'm preparing another, more technical, document for many of the things that I learned while I was doing the conversion, but I wanted to capture some process notes here, if only for myself.Continue Reading